Are you thinking about using Rentec Direct? Could it be the best rental property management software for you?
With so many property management software products on the market, it's hard to choose. However, property managers must determine which one is ideal and go with it. Reading Rentec Direct reviews is the best option because they tell you everything you must know.
Today, you'll learn about the pros and cons of Rentec Direct property software, how much it costs compared to the competitors, and the features offered. Are you ready to get started? Let's dive in!
What Is Rentec Direct Property Management Software?
Roughly 15,000 landlords use Rentec Direct LLC to manage properties. Typically, the property management platform is there for residential portfolios, though 10 percent or so of people use it for commercial properties.
You'll find several features to automate and optimize essential tasks, such as marketing websites, automatic listings, electronic signatures, and maintenance requests.
Nathan Miller co-founded this property management solution in 2007. Now, Rentec Direct serves property managers nationwide. Overall, it's an affordable option that includes core features landlords need to operate their businesses.
If you're price-conscious and have a small or medium portfolio, Rentec Direct could be beneficial for you. It doesn't have the best communication tools, and it may not be sufficient for people with 150 units or more.
Rentec Direct Features
Below, you'll learn about all the tools Rentec Direct offers. This will show you how it will help your business. Let's dive in!
Rentec Direct offers marketing tools to market your properties effectively and increase occupancy rates. The feature includes:
Custom Property Listings
Create customizable listings for all of your rental properties using Rentec Direct. You can store various information and distribute it, including:
- Year built
- Square footage
- Smoking permitted
- Rental assistance
- Lease terms
- Lease required
- General description
- Garage/carport access
- Bedrooms and bathrooms
- Features and appliances
- Animals allowed
- Air conditioning
- Age requirements
Automatic Listing Syndication
It's easy to automatically post rental listings on various search websites through Rentec Direct. Here are a few it has partnered with:
Rentec Direct gives you a marketing website that helps you list rental properties. It's a useful resource that you can share with prospective tenants. Plus, applicants can apply directly through the site.
You can easily manage leads and applications with Rentec Direct, allowing you to choose the best prospective tenants. There are several property management options, such as tenant screening, electronic leases, and customizable applications.
Rentec Direct lets you create online rental applications. Each template includes common aspects, such as references, employment information, rental history, and personal information. Plus, you can create parameters that meet your needs.
Tenant screening is crucial to ensure you get the best tenants possible, and Rentec Direct offers a service to help you. The brand charges $15 for eviction, criminal, and credit checks, but there are cheaper tenant screening options, as well.
It's possible to receive and send electronic leases through the software. Create templates with specific fields that will autofill the information. Then, tenants can electronically sign.
Rentec Direct offers several features to help all property managers streamline their workflows and increase efficiency. You've got a mobile app for property inspections, maintenance tools, a communication module, an online owner portal, an online tenant portal, and much more.
Whenever you log into the account, you'll see a summary page that gives a snapshot of crucial information for your properties. The summary page shows income/expense ratios, occupancy rates, vacancies, notices, past-due rents, and system updates.
Online Tenant Portal
The online tenant portal lets your tenants set up recurring payments or make payments, view their statements, and send maintenance requests. They access it directly through the marketing website.
Online Owner Portal
There's also a property owners portal that helps you track the performance of your properties. This shows notices, cash flow, occupancy rates, and much more. Plus, you can download the reports and statements from here.
Rentec Direct lets you email and text tenants through the platform. Generate customized templates, as well. Plus, the solution will support group messages, which is ideal for newsletters, notices, and announcements.
While two-way texting is possible, you cannot view the thread of conversations with every tenant. This can make it unorganized and challenging later.
Landlords can receive their maintenance requests and assign people to work on them right on Rentec Direct. When work orders are completed, the tenants receive an automatic email telling them that.
Rentec Direct doesn't have options for property inspections, but there's an integration with ZInspector. It offers a free version to test the waters and costs $20/month for unlimited properties and one user.
Rent Collection and Payments
You get an electronic payment feature that lets you receive payments online. Tenants can use electronic cash, debit/credit card, and bank transfers. Plus, they can get into the tenant portal to set up a recurring payment.
The payments get deposited directly into the bank account, and you can have multiple options. One bank account is free, but you may set up five bank accounts. There's a $15 charge for every additional bank account you link to the platform.
However, Rentec Direct doesn't let you pay vendors for any maintenance work. Likewise, owners can't send payments to their property managers here.
There are countless accounting features available to help you manage your finances. They include:
Rentec Direct offers ledgers to help you track and organize your accounting details for a bank account, tenant, property, and owner transactions. They're all synced, so edits you make will update to appropriate ledgers.
You can verify all transactions posted in the Rentec Direct platform to match the bank statements. Likewise, you may sync a bank account to help with the process and spot discrepancies quickly. All reports are archived so that you may refer back to them.
It's easy to complete the 1099-MISC forms with Rentec Direct. It has a tax assistant report that gives you appropriate information, and the platform lets you electronically submit them. Plus, you can integrate with Nelco Solutions, which is a tax reporting service that prints and mails tax forms, though you're billed separately by the secondary company.
Rentec Direct helps you create various reports, such as:
- 1099 tax assistant
- Vendor ledger
- Income statement
- Expense statement
- CAM receipts
- Balance sheet
- Account ledger
- ACH settlements
- Vacant properties
- Rent roll
- Lease expiration
- Delinquent tenants
- Open work orders
- Vendor contact list
- Owner statement
- Owner property list
Rentec Direct Pricing
How much does Rentec Direct cost? The pricing begins at $35 per month, though this depends on the plan you choose and how many units you have. However, there are no setup fees or long-term contracts with Rentec Direct software. Here's a breakdown of the prices:
- Rentec Pro - Starting price of $35/month
- Rentec PM - Starting price of $40/month
- No ACH transaction fees
- 2.75 percent for credit card transaction fees
- $7 to $15 for each tenant screening fee
The starting price for Rentec Pro and Rentec PM is for 10 units, and the price goes up from there. For example, if you have 25 units, you'd pay $45 for Rentec Pro and $50 for Rentec PM software.
Does Rentec Direct Offer a Free Trial?
Rentec Direct does offer a two-week free trial for property management. However, you won't get access to all the features.
Rentec Direct Pricing: An Overview
Overall, Rentec Direct has a decent price, but some of the alternatives are a bit lower. Though user-friendly, the free version isn't that great, so it might be wise to choose a different option.
Rentec Direct Review: Pros and Cons
Now that you understand the features and pricing model for Rentec Direct, it's time to tie it all together and focus on the pros and cons. They were pulled from user reviews, so you get a great idea of what you might receive from the brand.
Pro: More Affordable for Property Managers
Rentec Direct is considered more affordable than other competitors, such as Buildium and Appfolio. Likewise, the pricing is customer-friendly, so there are no long-term commitments or setup fees. You can easily integrate with other software to handle property inspections and leasing needs.
Pro: Great Customer Service
Many people claim that the customer support team is excellent, though we're unsure if there is an online chat. People often need help learning about the key features and how to use them, though others have said they required tech support.
Regardless, customer support seems to be decent, though you may need to wait a bit before talking to others.
Con: Not as User-friendly as Other Software
The communication features, while decent, aren't as robust as the competition. Likewise, people have complained that the marketing website and user interface aren't modern; they can look dated.
Con: Hard to Pay Others
Many property managers want an all-inclusive and user-friendly system for managing properties, and that might not be possible, depending on what you do. For example, you cannot pay vendors through the system or get contributions from the owners.
Con: Must Use Outside Systems
Most property management solutions aren't all-inclusive, which means you have to use separate software. However, there are many integrations, so you can tie in your QuickBooks and other sites to this one.
3 Competitors to Consider
We've explored all there is to know about Rentec Direct, but we also wanted to focus on the Rentec Direct alternatives that all property owners should be aware of.
Some people might need a more competitive feature set or be looking for something at a reasonable cost. You may feel that customer support is more important than financial reporting or wish you could pay vendors right from the software. Regardless of what you require, let's check out the alternatives to consider:
DoorLoop is a property management software solution that helps people lease properties, collect rent, handle accounting, and market available rentals. In fact, it has all the functions you could possibly want and is ideal for building owners, property managers, real estate investors, landlords, and real estate management companies.
It was founded in 2000 and has headquarters in Miami. People enjoy using it because it's easy to use, features excellent customer support, and helps users increase efficiency. Plus, there are countless integrations, and you can choose to get assistance through the chat window or phone support.
Here are just some of the excellent features to love about DoorLoop:
- Dedicated Owner Portal - You'll be creating financial reports with ease and can even schedule sessions with tenants to go over any issues. Plus, you can print checks and see how your rental properties are doing with a few clicks.
- Easy Rent Collection - Tenants want to pay rent quickly, and you can help them do that through the tenant portal. The full-service CRM allows you to talk to tenants, collect payments, and so much more.
- Easy Communication - Talk to tenants within the app itself or through the desktop version. This helps you manage your maintenance requests, get a vendor response, and more. Plus, you don't have to leave DoorLoop to do it.
- Full Accounting Options - As a property manager, you know that QuickBooks has limitations. It's not designed for property management, and that holds you back. However, DoorLoop offers QuickBooks integration, so you can handle accounting needs without having to leave the software. Again, Rentec Direct provides these options, but DoorLoop lets you sync as many bank accounts as you want. You may also keep track of each withdrawal, transfer, and deposit so that you're prepared for any expense.
- Good Customer Support - When you need help, you require live customer service to get you going, and DoorLoop offers that. It's the right software because it's always adding new features and gives value for money.
- Transparency - Companies everywhere are focused on transparency because it's at the heart of doing business effectively. You can keep the investors and owners happy with reports and distributions. Share your documents securely, gain financial transparency, and communicate with everyone. This isn't as easy with Rentec Direct.
- Custom Website - Though Rentec Direct offers a customized website, DoorLoop's CRM is more streamlined. You can find tenants and owners quickly, fill vacancies faster, screen them, and collect applications directly from the website. Plus, electronic signatures are possible through the portal, as well. It's easy to market properties on HotPads, Zillow, and many others. Plus, you'll get background checks and can build a website that meets your needs.
- Handle Maintenance Requests - Though Rentec Direct allows you to create requests for maintenance, DoorLoop goes a step further by letting you track and assign work orders and present 1099 forms for the work completed. Plus, it will wire money or mail checks to vendors for you.
- File Storage - It's easy to go paperless with DoorLoop. You can stay organized without file cabinets and reduce clutter. Plus, it's easy to share files with vendors, owners, tenants, and everyone else. Though Rentec Direct makes this possible, it doesn't offer instant search. Through DoorLoop, you'll find what you require with one click!
- Security - DoorLoop takes security seriously, so all of your data is encrypted in transit and at rest with military-grade encryption. Likewise, you get automated backups every five minutes to avoid losing any information. If necessary, you can manually back up physical copies to your computer for added peace of mind. You may also block access for some users so that they only see what you want them to experience. Plus, it's possible to add two-step verification and offer secure rent payments right online!
- Offer Renter's Insurance - Most renters don't know that your property insurance doesn't cover their items. Remind them about that and make it easy to buy renter's insurance through your website. This includes replacement costs, personal liability, loss of use, personal property, and identity fraud protection. Prices are usually straightforward and low-cost, which means your tenants will gain peace of mind without having to do the research themselves.
You get more functionality with DoorLoop than Rentec Direct, and the price is relatively similar. Get started using DoorLoop for $49/month for 20 properties. It's uncanny that you can do everything from a convenient platform for such a little amount. Schedule your free demo today and see what DoorLoop can do for you!
If you run a property management company with a handful of units, you may not need anything fancy. TurboTenant could be a great choice because it's a mostly free plan. You'll get plenty of features, though there aren't as many as other options.
Overall, we consider this a budget-friendly or low-tier option. It's a great starting point for landlords with a few properties because they can see how the software would benefit them and help them manage everything. However, it does have some limitations compared to DoorLoop and Rentec Direct, which we will discuss below.
There are a few features to love about TurboTenant, including:
- Online rent payments
- Rental listings
- Decent customer support
- Leasing and tenant screening tools (paid-only for those)
However, you won't get reporting options and cannot create a work order for maintenance. Basically, it's a streamlined version of other software solutions. Setup is easy, and you can automate a few things. Still, it's much more limited, so you have less control over your abilities.
Overall, TurboTenant is a mostly free plan that costs the landlord nothing. However, it shifts the cost to the tenant, and that might not be a good idea for your business. It's important to weigh the pros and cons yourself.
Though it's a free property management solution, there are costs involved; they're simply separated and as needed. Therefore, they're less apparent and transparent than other products. Here are a few examples:
- Creating state-specific lease agreements will cost $39 per lease.
- Lease addendums will cost $15 each.
- You'll pay $9 for each e-signature you put on a document.
When you add up all those fees, you could pay more for this solution than at DoorLoop or Rentec Direct. Likewise, the features you get are limited, so it might not be the ideal option. In a sense, you can't grow with the platform.
3. Onsite Property Manager
If you're like many landlords, you want an integrated property management software that will do everything for you and be intuitive. Onsite Property Manager appears to do this and works for commercial and residential properties.
With the software, you can store and create different documents and records for your properties. Plus, it's quite accessible. The web-based software works on any device, so you may look at whatever you need from anywhere.
Onsite Property Manager Features
The basic features include:
- Paperless work orders
- Customer support in various forms
- Online tenant payments
- Move-in/move-out checklists
- Expense tracking
- Automatic charges
You get access to all the features available with any price plan. However, it uses various integrations to get the job done, especially when creating a website and advertising for vacancies. Though you can develop applications, it doesn't mention if it allows you to make lease agreements, which is often crucial for property managers and owners.
Onsite Property Manager Pricing
The pricing plans for Onsite Property Manager are straightforward compared to other options. Here, you pay solely based on how many units you've got. For example, if you have one to 10 units, you pay $6.95/month and have access to everything. Pricing rises based on the units.
However, the prices include the same features, so you're really not getting anything special. If you have 11 units, you're paying a higher amount. What happens if one is vacant? You're still paying for 11 units, so it might not be cost-effective or work for landlords who need a fully integrated CRM.
Reading Rentec Direct reviews is a great way to learn about the property management platform, and we've covered everything you could want to know about the product. However, it might not be the best solution if you want a tool with plenty of features at a reasonable price. DoorLoop could be the better option because you can try it for two months at 50 percent off!
With DoorLoop, you will receive:
- Excellent customer support from a team dedicated to helping you
- Intuitive and lightning-fast UI
- Easy-to-use system that's built for landlords and property managers
- Owner portal with reports and check printing features
- A full maintenance ordering system
- Tenant portal
- Automatic rent payments
- Easy-to-use communication tools
- A full accounting suite
- Much more
Our Rentec Direct review is coming to an end. After reading about all it can do and comparing it to DoorLoop, you're probably ready to take your business to the next level. DoorLoop is here to streamline the process and help you from beginning to end. You'll save time, get peace of mind, and know that you're using the best solution on the market.
Schedule your free demo today and see how awesome it is!